Personal Favourites - Brandon Sanderson




Okay, here's a page with some of my personal favourites that mostly fall under the following "categories": 

  • profound or simple classics
  • intriguing nonfiction
  • fascinating and absorbing fantasy
  • books with scenes that leave you breathless and unable to lay it outta hand before you finish it
  • written masterpieces where you leave a piece of you behind on the very last page



Let's start off with an author some of you probably know, Brandon Sanderson. I'm currently slowly but steadily working my way through all his books.



The first thing I encountered was the Mistborn series and I immediately found myself intrigued with the magic system in featured because there are so many books out there that have magic systems but you know fuck-all about it because the author doesn't give a shit about expanding on it. Same happens with the culture and history of so many fantasy realms, lots of author drop some names that sound cool but way too few actually take the time and energy to truly create their own universe. This expanding on history, culture and religion as well as figuring out the magic system is way more pronounced in The Stormlight Archive (also because the books are so thick you can render any burglar unconcious) but also present in the Mistborn series which I really like and appreciate.
When I read the third book of that series, and the last of that particular Mistborn era I had to just take a moment to admire the structure and planning out of the story because I couldn't think of a single plot thread that had a loose end. All my questions about what the fuck was going on had been answered and I felt very satisfied with the overall end *eyes the Harry Potter books and angrily hisses at the epiloque*.
Before I start rambling again, as I tend to do, let me just sum it up:

Like a badass female protagonist who'll kick ass? Good taste, read it.

Like a faster but not too fast paced fantasy novel? Read it.

Like a book whose plot doesn't look like some frayed piece of fabric in the end? Read it.

Like an interesting magic system? Read it.

You know what, just read it if you like fantasy and action or just well written books.




The series I started after Mistborn was The Stormlight Archives and oh boy! This is so good if you have the patience for it! Seriously, I'm not saying this is the best series I started readin but..


Or to put it into other words, it's



For a big part of The Way of Kings I had aboslutely zero clue as to what the fuck would be the endgoal of the story and you know what? I enjoyed it. There were multiple POV's and I could guess how the characters would come together to further the plot or what their role would be but that's all it mostly was, just guesses. 
And nothing against fantasy books where in around the first fifty pages you already know what the endgoal is. To defeat some evil foe, save someone dear and so on. Don't understand me wrong, I love those stories but it's refreshing to not really have any clue for once. Now you might wanna say, but it's so annoying to not have any idea, it's like watching some experimental shit where everything is obscure just to be obscure or idk. Don't worry, that's not how this book is.
Let me put it into a metaphor because I'm ridiculously fond of them. You're basically following various woolen threads of different colours while someone at the other end is slowly knitting something, could be a scarf or a hat or a mitt, you don't know, just like you don't know the pattern in which the threads are gonna come together.

Let's talk about the world this story is set in. Since I'm lazy I'm gonna go with notes.

Different and intriguing culture? Check

Races that aren't just copies of asians, europeans etc.? Check

Social norms and practices that are a bit confusing to relate to but ey, different culture, different norms. Soon enough you won't find the society weird. Sure, there might be some parts you frown upon because you think they're fucking stupid but look at our society and the neanderthalian thinking a big part of it still has. Accurate portrayal of a society is what I call that.

Religion? Check *sighs* what would the world be without religion? *thinks of all the crusades and executions and the terrorism that happens in the name of religion* would surely be awful 

Interesting magic system the author actually thought about instead of going with the typical standard. Again, nothing against standard but some fresh air is always welcome in the nerd dungeons.

To sum it up real fast. READ THE DAMN BOOK IT'S AN AWESOME JOURNEY!
The first two books of the series, Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are probably two of the best books I've ever read and Ican't wait for the third volume!

Also, I have to add that book two contains one of my favourite action scenes. So fucking epic I can't even! It might take a long time until shit goes down in this series but rest assured that when shit goes down it does so in epic proportions.


Probably gonna add some other Sanderson books later on because I love every book of his I read so far but for now this is it folks!

Comments

Popular Posts