Y Negative by Kelly Haworth

In a world of prejudice and closed mindedness the ones at the bottom have to struggle through a fight they can never win.


★★★☆ 3.5 Stars for this dystopian read that will definitely make you angry and give you a lot of omg and wtf moments.

I got a free ARC via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

The concept of the story is unique and unlike anything I've read up to this point. It made my skin crawl and wonder if humans are capable of something like this. The question was probably rhetorical because looking at our history so far I bet both my legs that, yes, humans are capable of this everything written in this book.
Read if you want to experience something new and more than weird.

Probably my face at certain points in the book. This was one fucked up world!

Ember struggles through societies never changing view of him. He is an Y Negative. In a distant past no one can remember he would have been a woman, a mother. Not an abomination society uses for reproduction but doesn't respect.
After being used as surrogates a number of times, Y Negatives get rid of the parts they no longer have any use for and start taking testosterone and become Andros in order to feel better in a world where a Masc is the best one can be born as.


Ember doesn't like other Andros. A despised taste in a time where same sex relationships are the norm. Ember doesn't think he'll ever find a Masc who will love him despite everything he is.
Then he meets Jess.

The dystopian world left me confused. Confronted with words like Y Negative,  Andro, Masc and Exo (or was it Exy?) I didn't know what to make of anything at the beginning. Especially since the whole dystopian story world is pretty disturbing and 'holy-shit-I-can't-believe-this-fucked-up-shit.

Too many questions, too little explanation. Many get answered but only after a lot of time. It would have been nice to get more info at the beginning.
The only positive thing that comes from the slow trickle of information are more omg- and wtf-moments.
There are still questions that weren't answered though. I have vague ideas of what could be meant, but still.
What exactly is a pseudo? What is an Exo or whatever the name was? How come people forgot the concept of women? 

The last fact just doesn't quite sit right with me. A lot of things from the past survived, so how come people don't remember what a woman is? This is a big flaw which I wouldn't have minded if it was an alternate reality where the concept had simply never existed.

The discrimination and lack of understanding of Mascs left me angry and frustrated. It's been a while since a book managed to evoke so many negative emotions.
I really felt for ember and his struggles. Just imagining some of them makes me want to punch some guys from this dystopian world.


Comments

Popular Posts